Monday, September 22, 2014

What I ate : Birthday Edition

I turned 24 yesterday. I remember being excited for my birthday days in advance when I was younger. Making plans of what I was going to be doing on the day was a huge part of celebrating. Every single person deserves to be celebrated, but this year I felt so different about it. All Kenyans know what 21st September signifies after last year. I felt like it was so much more important to celebrate peace and moving forward so I didn't think about my birthday even for a second before it actually came. I don't know if that's what growing older does to you, do you lose all excitement? Should it become just another day? Well, my family and friends made me realise that being alive and healthy is a huge blessing, and maybe your birthday is celebrated so you can have a chance to show how grateful you are. I had an absolutely unexpected lovely day. It couldn't have gone any better in my opinion. Spending time with family and friends was just what I needed, especially with the study mode I've been undergoing all year. I was spoiled rotten with all the food! And the food merchandise! Spending quality time over a meal is such a great thing to do, even more with good food.


Woke up to this! Look at the chocolate! And the waffle maker! And the chocolate mould! And the Jaffa cakes! (Which I devoured, cake like biscuit covered in chocolate with orange jelly in the middle-a British favourite!).Can you tell food makes me happy? (Ignore the mess in the back, early morning excitement can't be helped).



Started my day off with this beautiful blueberry cheese cake my mum made for me as a surprise. Truly tastes divine. I could eat it alone for days. Thank you mummy! Took me back to my primary school days when I'd come home to a huge cheese cake with a strawberry jelly top. Will always be my favourite.


Home made cappuccino in my new mug, again made by my mum! 


We were too full to have breakfast after the cheese cake (best breakfast substitute), so my mum took me for a hot chocolate. I had a fabulous time and it was delicious. I'm not sure of the name of this place but it's somewhere in spring valley. When I remember I'll put it here.



Lunch with friends. This is at Four cafe bistro in gigiri. I was looking forward to trying some place new. It definitely did not disappoint. Above is the chips mexicasa- which the four of us couldn't finish. It's basically chips with melted cheese, tomato, capsicum and onions if you wish. Then the pizza with pesto sauce, originally with chicken but we substituted it with mushroom instead. It definitely didn't disappoint. It was my first time having a pizza with pesto sauce instead of tomato/Arabiata! I think I'll try this at home sometime. 


Made some of the chocolate in the mould my parents got me. It's so much fun popping the pieces out of the mold. I also love how shiny the surfaces are. I'm planning on trying different varieties, maybe coconut, nuts, biscuits in the chocolate next time.


I'm sure you can guess where I went for dinner. For you! Tried the corn with cashewnut this time which I really liked. And the staff all came in singing happy birthday with this strawberry ice cream that we all shared( does anybody else feel awkward/not know where to look when people sing to you or make you open gifts?). 

I feel like I was so spoiled yesterday and I'm not sure I deserved any of it. But it was so much fun and I made so many memories which I think are very worth every moment. I know it seems like I ate a lot of Food, but I can't lie, I did! I could barely stand the thought of food when I got home. And I'm not a fan of overeating. But it was an exception I guess. Back to moderation from today. Also trying to remember that my age has changed, in case anyone asks me. :) 


                                                                       ~risha~










No comments:

Post a Comment