Saturday, August 16, 2014

Lemon bars

I was in the mood of trying something new baking wise for a while now. I just never had the time and the perfect recipe to make something I would enjoy. I love trying new things, hence the lemon bar recipe which I kept seeing all over the internet, I watched a couple YouTube videos and read a few websites and decided on this specific recipe. It's delicious, with a soft cookie like base and a chewy middle, and a crunchy top layer. The only thing I would change the next time I make it is the sugar content. Slightly sweeter than I had expected, and that's saying something considering I'm the self proclaimed queen of all the sweet toothed people out there. They're delicious regardless and not as time consuming as I'd thought, and would go perfectly with a cup of coffee in the nairobi weather we've been having lately. Warning: This May just be a picture heavy post.

Step 1-make base
Combine 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter (make sure it's room temp!) with quarter cup confectioners sugar, 1cup all purpose flour, 1/8 tsp vanilla essence and a pinch of salt. (I used salted butter so didn't add any salt).
Then mix with a wooden spatula, no whisk needed at this point! Mix until all flour is incorporated. Ultimately ends up looking like cookie dough.
Lightly grease a slightly deep pan, and spread out the doughy mixture evenly, then use a fork and make holes throughout to ensure even cooking.
Then put this in the oven for 22 mins at 180 degrees.

Step 2-make lemon mixture
Fresh lemons are the best for this! Use a grater to get some of the lemon rind. Then juice the lemons until you have a quarter cup of lemon juice. I used the rind from 3 lemons.
In a separate mixing bowl, put in 2 large eggs, and 1 egg yolk alone. Then put in 1 tablespoon of flour and 1 cup of confectioners sugar. 
Mix using a whisk until everything is incorporated. (Don't get scared if mixture is too watery looking, it's supposed to be!).
Then put in the lemon juice and the lemon rind and mix well.
Dough base is probably ready now. It should look slightly browned at the edges.
Get it out of the oven and simply pour the lemon mixture over it.
Put it in the oven for another 25 mins at 180 degrees.
Should look like this once its out of the oven, browned at the edges and slightly over the top.
Wait for it to cool completely. (Which I couldn't do since I was in such a hurry to try it, hence me ruining the cutting it into perfect slices , but I just had to try it while it was hot). 
See the slice missing? Already eaten.
Sprinkle on some icing sugar or even some glaze (half cup icing sugar with 1tsp milk/lemon juice can do the trick). 

Really glad I made this and definitely having it for breakfast tomorrow. (Not healthy but not sorry either).
It's not complicated to make at all and it was so much fun too! I might try a different fruit next time I make this instead of lemon. The lemon taste isn't too overpowering, but you can definitely taste it. Highly recommend if you have a sweet tooth!

                                                                         -risha-




No comments:

Post a Comment