Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Corner Affair

I wrote this post before and deleted it in my delirious state at about midnight. I'm going to re-write it, because it was technically my first post.
            Last week was my grandmas 77th birthday, so to celebrate her still looking 20 years young my family and I decided to hit up a coffee shop/restaurant nearby called The Corner Affair.


It's rather a shabby looking place from the outside but the decor inside is beautiful. It had a nice chilled out vibe, which is always welcome in our hectic lives. 

    
             
           After we settled down we took a look at the menu, which I personally found overpriced and highly limiting. A menu that consisted of 3 types of cakes and about 6 types of hot drinks gave me quite the shock to me. Out of a lack of options and my dislike for milk , I opted for the watermelon and basil juice. Sounds enticing right? Oh, but do not be fooled! This juice was for lack of a better term, disgusting. It was pretty much stale watermelon juice diluted in water. Any hope of saving that drink was tossed out the window the moment water was involved. Oh, did the menu mention basil? That's right, it did. There was no basil in sight! No basil! The sole reason I bought this juice was to give my taste buds a sensation they has not had before but, no basil, not even a random leaf floating astray in the juice, not even as a decoration piece, nothing.            
           I think that they need to be more honest with themselves and rename the drink as flavored water, It was pretty much water with a hint of stale watermelon, or even better, take it off their menu. 
I now know that if I ever want watermelon juice, I can make it for myself and guess what, I can actually afford to add a few leaves of basil from the garden.


If anything could be more disappointing than their juice, (which I don't think is a long list of things with the standard of their drinks), it's their service. 

An impatient waitress tapping her pen and sighing to serve the other waiting non-existant customers did not improve my take on the place. As a first time customer I generally want to go through the menu, to see what I would like to order, but according to her the order should be on our finger tips. It's fine if the waitress is in a hurry to serve other people, but considering we were the only ones in the place she didn't have to be so pushy.

After finally placing an order, which she got wrong while re-reading it because of her haste to serve all the people seated in the restaurant, we waited. 
I got my disappointment of a juice, and after I was done with it, my mum went to check on the coffees, after asking the waitress if it was ready she replied with "we haven't started". She was busy hanging around with another waiter chatting and laughing, which by all means, go ahead and do, but at least be professional enough to do so after the customers have got their drinks. My mum obviously cancelled the order and we headed over to java.(my sister has reviewed that).

I feel that when a customer pays for over priced food or drinks, the least the restaurant can do is deliver on quality. This experience was one I would not like to re-live, and keeping true to at least it's slogan, my view on the restaurant did truly change there. 

                                                                   -Priya-









No comments:

Post a Comment